http://jc4jesus.blogspot.com/2008_09_01_archive.html

Sunday, March 1, 2015

You Learn Something New Every Day...

Learn Something New Every Day

Learn Something New Every Day

    I recently got back from a trip to Missouri, visiting my brand new niece…Well, my sister and my brother in law were there too..
So, my niece is extremely cute, even though she doesn't do a whole lot besides eat, cry and poop. But the amazing thing is, in just a short time, she'll be saying her first words, crawling, putting things in her mouth, climbing the stairs... She'll go from this , to someone who can communicate her thoughts, play an instrument, lift weights, paint pictures, write poetry…or whatever she'll like to do when she grows up…She's like this little atom bomb of potential. Her life is a miracle. She's constantly being bombarded with new information, because everything is new to her. Her brain is forming new synapses at lightning speed,she's learning something new every day. Spending time with someone so new to life has got me thinking though… Who says we have to stop learning?I was just talking to a friend of mine, and I remarked on a time I'd listened to her play the guitar, she sounded pretty good. "How long have you been playing?" "About a year." I thought about this after our conversation. One year ago, she couldn't play the guitar...
    One year ago:
  • She found something she wanted to do (play the guitar),
  • She came up with a plan ("I'll practice so many hours a day")
  • She kept her course,
  • Time passed..
  • The thing is… Time would have passed anyway.

    A year ago, my friend made a decision that changed her life. And she kept making that decision every time she practiced. Now, she has a skill she didn't have before.
    Maybe you're in the middle of learning something new. It could be something as well defined as earning that degree, or as vague as building better relationships with the people you care about. At times you might question what you're doing. At times it may seem like you're not making any progress.
      But over time:
    • completed assignments turn into completed semesters..
    • And kindness turns into trust...
    • And over time, practice does make perfect.
        Imagine if a baby decided that learning to walk was just too far out of his reach, that it was just too much of a time commitment and besides, crawling suited him just fine.
        Pretty absurd right? But I think you get my point…
    So here's to tomorrow…And the next day…And the day after that. Here's to the daily choice to do, to be, to learn something new. Best wishes.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    please feel free to leave comments.